If you've been to my Etsy shop recently, you may have noticed two listings for onesies. I've been meaning to add them for quite some time (and 3 more are coming), but I haven't' had time until recently.
Machine embroidering one that thin and stretchy of knit fabric has been a challenge, a challenge I think I've beat. And during my trials, I've learned three things.
1. I've found that using more stabilizer is better than less. So now I use one layer of of sticky back and one layer of tear away. I don't use any solvy on top, but I may pick some up and give that a whirl.
2. Using a thicker fabric is good too. Gerber onesies are not as good as Circe and Carter body suits.
3. The other thing that helps is adjusting the embroidery pattern so that it does not stitch back over areas that have already stitched. This isn't always possible, but the more I can avoid it, the better.
The stegonormalus had the most problems because there are a lot of locations where my original pattern stitched zig-zag on top of zig-zag.
When I went through and changed this to only stitch there once, in this case just when outlining the curve/body, it helped immensely.
So now, working on the other 4, I could make this change from the beginning and had many less practice onesies. Although now my daughter has about 8 variations of statosaur onesies from my practicing. :)